Sunday 30 June 2013

Kathirikkai Rasavangi - Brinjal Curry

Serves 3
This one's a traditional south indian dish . It's a cross between sambar and 'puzhikulambu'(a tangy tamarind based gravy),it has both the flavours of dal and tamarind but no onions or tomatoes.I really don't know the origin of the word rasavangi or what it means,so I was actually thinking if I should christen this dish as 'Sampuzhi' :),just kidding ! What I mainly love about this dish is that it doesn't need any sauteing or standing near the stove all the time.A very simple & easy recipe which tastes yum.



You'll need:
Brinjals  - 3 - 4 big ones(chopped)
Sesame oil -  1 tbsp
Mustard seeds - 1 tsp
Tamarind - About the size of a big gooseberry
Hing - 1 pinch
Green chilli - 1 (chopped)
Ginger - a small piece (chopped)
Channa dal - 1 tsp
Whole Red Chilli - 2
Toor Dhal -  5 tbsp
Coconut milk - 1 cup
Coriander leaves - 1 tbsp(chopped)
salt as needed

Method:
-Soak the tamarind in 1 - 1.5 cups of water for 30 minutes.Squeeze and strain to extract the juice.
-Pressure cook the toor dal with 1 cup of water and a pinch of turmeric powder( on high for 1 whistle and simmer for 5 minutes).Mash it well.
-In a pan ,heat the oil and when it heats splutter the mustard ,hing,Whole red chilli and channa dal. Add the Ginger and saute for a minute.
-Add the tamarind juice and mix well.Add hing and green chilli and cook for a minute.
-Add the chopped Brinjal  and salt and let it cook on medium heat until the brinjal is cooked.Takes about 5 -7 minutes,add water if needed.
-Add half of the coconut milk and let it boil for 2- 3 minutes.
-Add the cooked toor dal and mix well.Add the remaining coconut milk and the coriander leaves.Add salt and water if needed.Let it simmer for 7 -10 minutes.Done !


Thanks for stopping by ! Happy Cooking !

11 comments:

  1. I simply love typical Indian dishes. That's the part in me which cannot be erased. Its the flavors - the sourness being on top of my list and the spicy taste follows. Also, brinjals are always amalgamated in Indian cuisine, another fav of mine.
    A perfect and wonderful dish for rice.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kathirikkai Rasavangi has come out very well.. I love sour taste.. Wish I could taste your rasavangi with rice..

    ReplyDelete
  3. I too make this often.. A perfect gravy for rice with kootu :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Delicious yummy curry with eggplant.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Have heard but had a chance to cook or eat... Live to try it.. Nice click

    ReplyDelete
  6. I always think when I see recipes what is the difference.Curious here too.I love all kathrikai curries :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I somehow have collected more brinjals here than I want - And I might make your "Sampuzhi" Reni :) I don't have Sesame Oil (The Techie has a rather peculiar idea that he doesn't like it.) - So I will have to sub it with a flavour less oil though :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. what a beautiful dish, pass on some to me :) Nice clicks :)
    www.merrytummy.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. Nice one . Tempting and wonderful. :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I am not a big fan of brinjal, i can have it if it is added to toover dana or matar!! But adding it to daal sounds interesting, never tried!!! Should try :)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...